Sunday, July 15, 2007

My Favorite Apron - Do You Know Where It Is From?

There is a unique on-line event called "Show Us Your Apron" in which anyone can show everyone their favorite, most unique, ugliest, funniest, most treasured, etc... apron. The host of this event is Ilva at Lucullian Delights - one of my favorite food blogs. Please check her blog out for inspired and refined recipes and photography, as well as a summary of this fun apron event.

Being that I love to cook, I do own many aprons. However, I only wear this apron while baking during the winter holidays. It gets me in the mood for the festivities, because by wearing it, I can see my grandmothers in their aprons baking up a storm.

This apron has a story, but its origins remain a mystery. I bought it at least 20 years ago at a flea market. I always thought of it as Swedish for two reasons. One, I bought it from a vendor who also sold me a Swedish tablecloth, and so I wanted to believe that this, too, was Swedish. Then there is the fact that I am half-Swedish, so in making myself believe that this is Swedish, and while baking Swedish holiday cookies, I feel oh-so Svenska!

Now, however, I am ready for the truth. I want to find out where this apron is from. It is obviously old - possibly 40 or 50 years old. Its stitching and embroidery are of beautiful quality and detail. I love the the way the strings criss-cross on the back:


With the images of deer or reindeer and the styling, I am convinced it must be from a more Nordic country, but instead of Swedish could it be Swiss or Austrian? Finnish? Russian? Help! I am asking all of you out there for help in figuring out its origins. Will you help unravel the mystery of my favortie apron? Please let me know what you think.


Here is another detailed photo. All guesses are welcome!

1 comment:

Ilva said...

Thank you for your entry! It is really a beautiful apron, too nice to use for cooking! I think it's Austrian, the deer has a more Continental touch to it somehow. But I couldn't really tell. Let's hope someone else knows!