Sunday, July 22, 2007

Easy and Yummy Lima Bean Puree

One of my favorite, easy to prepare dishes is this Lima Bean Puree. I keep frozen lima beans on hand so that whenever I need a quick side dish, or appetizer, I can make this. I originally saw a version of this recipe in the Wine Spectator magazine in an article on Alsace. It was suggested that it be accompanied with grilled escarole and served with a crisp, white wine from Alsace. I can attest that both items are an ideal pairing with this puree. I often serve it with grilled radicchio, or in place of potatoes as a side dish. I also transform it into a bruschetta, by grilling or toasting some really good white bread (baguette or ciabatta, for example), brush it with olive oil, spread the puree on top and add a few curls of pecorino romano cheese. Enjoy, and oh, and don't forget the crisp, white wine!
Empty one box/bag of frozen lima beans into a small saucepan and add about 1/3 cup of chickent (or vegetable) broth. Cover and bring to a boil. As soon as it boils, shut off burner and keep covered for another five minutes. Put everything into a blender with a good squeeze of lemon juice, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup good olive oil. If it needs more liquid to blend, add more olive oil. Taste to adjust seasonings. It should be a smooth puree, not chunky. Serve warm or at room temperature. (This makes enough to feed 3-4 people as a side dish and make at least a dozen bruschettas.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let’s hear it for Lima Bean Puree! This has been a favorite dish of mine ever since you gave me this recipe several years ago. I have continued to make and enjoy this delight over and over again. Just yesterday I discovered the Santa Monica Co-Opportunity Market for the very first time. I was so pleased to find a fabulous selection of organic products -- 85% of their produce is certified organic. Whenever I go to a new market I always look for organic frozen Lima Beans. I was so pleased to find them at this store. I like to buy several packages and keep them in the freezer because whenever I get a craving for Lima Bean Puree, I know I’ll find the delicious little beans in my freezer. I’d like to grow Lima Beans in my garden someday…wouldn’t that be cool. I'll put the Lima Bean patch right next to the Fava Bean patch and you can come over and help yourself right off the vines.