Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Christmas Meme

I have been tagged. You know, I love that image of "being tagged". It reminds me of the tag game we played as children. It was full of that feeling of running and thinking "please don't catch me", while secretly wanting to be caught and always laughing when it happened. So, for me, being tagged is full of happiness.

This tag was from the one and only Her Grace Lady Wanderlust Scarlett the Indefensible of Eschaton End, otherwise known as Scarlett from From the Shores of Introspect and Retrospect. She created this festive Christmas Meme in which I am supposed to share 12 of my favorite Christmas things (memories, traditions, songs, foods, etc...)

Here goes...
  1. Decorations. I love making the house look festive with lights, candles and decorations. I especially love the Swedish decorations.






  2. The meals. I love planning the meals because coming together with family and friends over food and wine holds so much fun and meaning to me. My father's family is Swedish, so we normally do a smorgasbord on Christmas.

  3. Giving. It feels so good!

  4. The idea of birth and renewal. Whether you celebrate the season as Christ's birthday or the older pagan traditions of the winter solstice and the beginning of days growing longer - a new year, both have the hopeful sense of new beginnings and the birth of hope. (For me this is especially needed as I have been surrounded by a lot of sickness and death this year.)
  5. Chestnuts.



  6. Silly Christmas traditions like reindeer antlers on our dogs.




  7. My stocking - the same one I've had since I was a little girl, with a "J" stitched into the trim. It's very worn out and grungy looking, but I can't get rid of it!






  8. Panettone.






  9. Baking.






  10. Seeing a child's eyes light up at the sight of presents. Can there be anything better?
  11. Snow & beach. I love snow at Christmas, but unfortunately don't have any. My dad and I would often go to the beach on Christmas Eve or Day...and I think I will do that again this year.

  12. Memories. Especially this year, remembering all those wonderful memories that my sweet mother created out of our holidays. I miss you mom!

Now, I get to tag others, of course. No obligations, as the season is a busy one, but it seems like a celebratory meme to participate in, doesn't it?

14 comments:

virtual nexus said...

Love your blog - lovely photographs.
Years ago we hosted Italian students and they introduced us to Panetone.
I'm going to put some on my shopping list this year having seen your reminder!

They also showed us how to time cooking spaghetti by flicking it on the walls to see if it stuck!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice post :)

african vanielje said...

Jeni, I think you are the only person I know who actually likes pannetone, although it is quite good toasted with mascarpone and poached fruits.

Great meme. Your dogs look so cute

Unknown said...

Great list! Scarlett tagged me too, but I winkled out of it being something of a bah humbug sort about Christmas! Well, okay, I sort of did it, I put down Christmas trees 12 times! ;-)

I don't know how you have your pannetone but an Italian once showed me the perfect way to enjoy it: Dunk it in coffee and slurp up the blessings!

The Passionate Palate said...

Julie - welcome and thank you! The Italians do have some fun traditions, don't they?

Maryann - grazie bella!

AV - Really?! It seems that every Italian I've ever met is crazy for Panettone. And definitely, marscapone on anything would make it better. It was a challenge getting the dogs to sit still to pose for that photo!

Vanilla - dunking it coffe is the BEST way to have it!

Anonymous said...

Great list! I only hope I can do it justice!

Chloe said...

Thanks for tagging me. I had fun thinking about all the wonderful Christmastime goodies. Oh, and the dogs' antlers made me laugh! I tried that with my dog one year, but she just kept knocking them off of her head.

Susan said...

A nice collection of pieces of you. We get boxes of pannetone every year. Next year I'll be baking it from scratch. I have my eye on a tall, beautifully fluted tin mold. I will have better luck with that than getting our cat to endure his little elfin costume. : )

The Passionate Palate said...

My Melange - of course you can do it justice! Even if you listed the same thing 12 times like Absolute Vanilla!

Chloe - you are welcome and can't wait to see your list.

Susan - funny you should write that...I was saying how much I want to try to make panettone. Yes, it will have to be next year, too.

African Kelli said...

What a beautiful post! There is such a joy of giving a great gift, isn't there?

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I love it! What a great list.
That's some of best...

I've never had chestnuts... sung about them plenty, but never eaten them. I'll do that this year.

I'm so glad you held on to the stocking... like Sognatrice and her ornaments, it is a tangible connection with the precious memories in our minds.

Merry Christmas Jeni

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

Katie Zeller said...

I love the antlers on the dogs! I showed the photo to the girls... they ran and hid...
Christmas is all about the memories, isn't it.
We both still have our stockings, too...the glitter is gone, but the memories are there.

Valerie said...

Great list, I was with you right up until the panettone ;) A little goes a long way with me! Thanks for tagging me. My list is being posted! Buon Natale!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Love those pooch-deer! Great Christmas meme :)