Sunday, June 17, 2007

Summer Art Exhibits in Italy

As part of my business, and part of my personal life, I develop travel itineraries in Italy for my clients and friends. I like to think I create the MOST amazing Italian vacations filled with things to do and places to see that give a true Italian experience. In all my years of researching Italy and traveling in that beautiful country, I have collected loads of information and am constantly finding lots of interesting things for people to do. I thought I would share some information about a few art exhibits across Italy this summer that recently caught my eye. I picked out the ones that were most appealing to me, of course there are many more available.

Florence: "Florence and Paul Cezanne" at Palazzo Strozzi through July 29.
There are a total of about 100 paintings on display, 20 of which are by Cezanne, the rest from his contemporaries.

Rome: "Eros" at the Colosseum through September 18.
Something close to my heart - a celebration of eroticism and sexuality. The show sheds light on the "liberty and spontaneity with which the Greeks lived their sexuality" (homosexual relations included.)

"Symbolism from Moreau to Gauguin to Klimt" at the National Gallery of Modern Art through September 16.
About 100 works by leaders of the modern art movement.

Venice: "Venice and Islam" at the Palazzo Ducale (the Doges Palace) July 28-November 28.
I thought this exhibit is timely to try to bridge the cultural divide that seems to be widening between the Islamic world and the Western world. There will be some 200 paintings, glassworks, ceramics, and other objects showing the influences of the two worlds between the ninth and 18th centuries.

No comments: