I have been tagged with a fun meme by Katerina Fiore of Olio di Oliva e Sogni di Vino (for those who don't speak Italian, that means Olive Oil and Dreams of Wine - great blog name, isn't it?)
I am to describe 7 random things about myself.
I am a Gemini, going in many directions at once, have always lead a very diverse life, and therefore find it very difficult to stick to 7 things.
* I love, love, love to be in Venice by myself. Venice, to me, is like a lover. You can roam the streets anonymously, getting lost in its sensuousness and beauty, devouring it as it devours you.
* Mountains speak to my soul. My favorite range is the Alps which I once flew over in a very small plane, alone with the pilot, in the dead of winter. The feeling of being so close to those majestic peaks was incomparable. I have camped and hiked alone in the Canadian Rockies and was awed at their splendor. I have traveled across and through the Himalayas, and the power and altitude of its peaks are overpoweringly beautiful. (And, yes, seeing Mt. Everest was one of the penultimate experiences of my life!)
* My first real job was on a pig and turkey farm. I'll leave that one at that.
* I studied for one semester at the oldest college in the Western Hemisphere - El Colegio de San Nicolas de Hidalgo, otherwise known as the University of Michoacan, in Mexico, founded in the 1590s.
* I just had a book dedicated to me. China by Herbert Paulzen, unfortunately is only published in Dutch. Herbert is one of the best known travel writers in the Netherlands and one of the most fascinating human beings I have ever met. We met in Kathmandu and traveled to Tibet together. I was moved to tears by his dedication.
* I like being around dying people. I have a difficult time putting into words this feeling, but when I am with a dying person, all pretenses are stripped away, and life is boiled down to what is really important.
* I am a yoga teacher and have done yoga, every day, for over 16 years. I am so grateful to have this practice in my life.
Okay, I'll stop myself there.
If you are reading this and would like to participate, consider yourself tagged. We would all love to read random things about each other, so play along!