Thursday, October 25, 2007

Individual Quiche or Torta

As the cooler weather sets in - okay, except for Southern California where we have been having 90+ degree and smokey weather - I crave fat. Yes, I'm not embarrassed about these cravings. As my friend George used to say as I would be filling my tummy with fattening cheeses in the fall, "Jeni, you are putting on your winter layers!" Good thing I love George like a brother; it never bothered me, especially because it was true.

One of my "fat" cravings, besides cheese, this time of year are tortas. I make all different kinds, with various crusts and fillings, but this one is definitely the easiest. In reality, I don't think it is very fattening, but it satisfies that craving for something hearty and filling.

This recipe is for individual tortas, and these happen to be very much like a quiche. You can make as many of these as you like, one for each person, or multiply the ingredients for a larger baking dish to make one large torta. This is great to make when you have to use up leftovers like stale bread, cooked greens or other veggies, little bits of cheese, etc. You can also make this with fresh vegetables, either way works.

Individual Tortas or Quiche
ingredients for one 4" ramekin

bread (I prefer baguette or Italian Ciabatta) about 4-6 very thin slices
1/2 cup ricotta
1/8 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (or other hard cheese)
1 beaten egg
about 2/3 cup vegetables (leftover cooked greens, green beans, or freshly sliced zucchini - preferably use a mandolin to slice so that they are paper thin.)
salt and pepper
some small chunks of prosciutto or ham (optional)

Lightly coat ramekin with olive oil and line ramekin sides and bottom with the slices of bread. (The bread is also optional).
Mix the rest of the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Pour filling in ramekin, making it very full.
Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes.
This is delicious for lunch served with a little green salad and I highly recommend drinking rose with any egg dish!

Buon appetito!




13 comments:

Chef Jeena said...

Lovely recipe it looks great. :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I had to come by. I saw your comment on My Melange and popped over. This looks so good, I wish I had one right now!

What a fun job you have!

Melissa

The Passionate Palate said...

Jenna - Thanks!

Melissa - Glad you stopped by. Yes, I am blessed with a very fun job.

Katie Zeller said...

It would be perfec, in smaller ramekins, for a first courst! I never take that much time for lunch but am always on the look-out for an easy starter...perfect!

lorraine@italianfoodies said...

Looks delicious!! Bring on the fat:)

The Passionate Palate said...

Katie - I was surprised that if I actually think about lunch one hour ahead, these tortas only take about 5 mins. of prep. time, the rest is baking. So, it can be a simple lunch (or, as you said a great dinner starter.)

Lorraine - glad we are in agreement! ;-)

Proud Italian Cook said...

I love the addition of ricotta sounds yummy!

The Passionate Palate said...

Proud - I love ricotta...hope you like it, too.

Chris said...

This is most fabulous! I will dive for anything with Ricotta...:)

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a starter! I'll try this soon.

The Passionate Palate said...

Chris - you and me both!

Cath - Welcome!!! Glad you like the recipe.

Vanessa Coppa said...

At what temperature should I bake these?

Thanks!

The Passionate Palate said...

Zia Vanessa - oops, I did leave that bit of info out. I bake these at standard 350, any higher and they won't cook inside and they'll burn on the outside. Thanks for stopping by!